"Do not forget to show love to strangers: for by doing so, some have entertained angels unaware." Hebrews 13:2

Sunday, January 27, 2013

Road Signs

I have always believed in what my dad and grandmother refer to as 'road signs':  Little confirmations that let you know you are on the right path.  There have been several 'Road Signs' already along our journey.  Some seemingly insignificant, (foster care coming up in random conversations, movies, things like that), some a little more "in your face".  I thought I would share a few the more significant signs here.

Early in our journey, before we even really committed to anything specific, I had a dream.  A memory, really, a simple but meaningful memory re-lived while I slept.  The actual event happened 15-20 years prior and although I had completely forgotten about it until the dream, I realize now that it was exactly duplicated in my dream.  My grandma (Kettles) and I were in her house visiting when out of the blue she told me, "I'm surprised that you haven't gone down to channel 4 and gotten one of those "Wednesday's Child"'s."  (I was young and single at the time, not even in a relationship and hadn't yet met JD). I laughed and jokingly reminded her that they don't hand out children like a Watchtower Magazine.  When she realized what it sounded like, she laughed too, but then quickly became serious again and repeated, "I'm just surprised you haven't done it already, but you will".  Fast forward 20 years to the day I revealed our plan to my mom and dad.  My dad's response?  "I'm surprised you haven't done it already".  (Like mother/like son).

LINKS:

Sandy Kulkin - The following Sunday, Sandy Kulkin was a guest speaker at church.  He is on the board of the Bair Foundation, an organization based in Pennsylvania, on High Street -- the same street we live on in New Mexico.  The Bair Foundation helps place foster children in many states, including New Mexico.  He speaks of the importance of foster care and give some very encouraging words relevant to our recent decision.  Click on the link to hear his message.

Doug Roberts Prophecy - I mentioned previously, my first ever experience receiving a prophecy.  Doug Roberts is a powerful man of God.  You can learn more about him at www.soundthetrumpet.org or at www.timewithdoug.com, but click here to hear the prophecy that he spoke over me.  Remember, JD and I had not even considered the possibility of foster care at the time this prophecy was spoken over me.

JD's mom, Norma always called me "Sunshine", so every time I hear the song "You are my sunshine" or see a reference to that nickname, I always think of her.  She passed away in 2003, but we still feel her presence very strongly, especially in times of extreme sorrow or extreme joy, or when we are need guidance.  As we were considering whether or not to commit ourselves to foster care, I was surfing the internet, randomly Googling different foster care-related topics and praying for guidance when I cam across this piece of clip art:






1 comment:

  1. First, thank you for inviting me to look at your blog. I have enjoyed it.

    Your journey sounds very like mine. I also believe that if we listen God does send us signs to know whether we are on the right track or not. I had many signs in helping me to make my decisions. I am not perfect so many times I still will question things. Yet, it all comes down to faith. Faith that you know the voice of God and that you are walking the path that He designed just for you.

    I am confident through prayer, hard work (getting ready), and the love and support of your family and friends not only will you foster many children but will be blessed in the process. Praying for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete